Why Sophie the Giraffe is the Must-have Baby Toy:
Sophie is made of natural rubber and makes a pleasant squeak whenever any part of her body is squeezed, so a baby of virtually any age will enjoy her. Sophie is also the very best teether I have come across as well. Its the only one my son will continually use.
Did I mention that she smells delicious? I mean, she smells like vanilla sugar cookies! That was something that I didn’t expect.
- 100% natural rubber (safe for the little one to chew on).
- Each spot is hand painted using food-grade paint (safe as well!) This also makes the Sophie that you buy unique as no two are exactly alike. This is something that I find pretty cool.
- Phthalates and BPA free (Yes! I am very paranoid about checking for these things).
More about Sophie…
- Sophie’s body, while soft, has several areas of thicker rubber (the nubs on her head, her ears, and her feet) which are perfect for teething babies to gnaw on for relief.
- Sophie’s contrasting colors (spots) are visually stimulating to a baby.
- She is easy to grip given her long, thin neck.
- This is a quality baby toy which will last for many years.
I know what you might be thinking: “But it’s a glorified dog chew toy…”
And to be honest, I thought the exact same thing at first. I even refused to buy one because of the price. Then my 10 month old niece got one for Christmas and I took a closer look…
The first thing I noticed was just how smooth she was, almost like soft baby skin. Then after a gentle squeeze of her leg, she squeaked. Not an annoying squeak either, but one that I could tolerate hearing over and over again. She squeaked from just about every area I pressed on…
…I was impressed to say the least. So was my son, apparently, who would not stop screaming until he could hold her. At that point, I was sold and soon after he became a proud new owner of his very own Sophie.
I could tell that Vulli® (the creator) put some serious thought in the design and construction of Sophie. I’ve never seen a safer baby toy in my life. You can tell that they’re VERY proud of her too. 🙂
Is Sophie Worth Buying?
The bad news:
Right before I made the purchase online, I Googled the toy extensively to see what other parents were saying. One image came up, which I found alarming…
A woman sliced her baby’s Sophie open and there was mold inside. I was shocked and did even more research…
The good news:
What I found out was that the person who posted it often cleaned her Sophie under a sink faucet and quite thoroughly too. It made sense. Water entering the squeak hole (medical term) and staying inside over a period of time would definitely cause mold growth.
Many parents, myself included, only clean Sophie with pacifier wipes and other baby safe cleaning wipes. But what if drool entered? I wondered the same thing, so I bit the bullet and ordered Sophie, putting her to the test.
After one month of my son drooling like a St. Bernard and gnawing on the toy like one too, I took a pair of scissors and cut Sophie open. It was difficult but I had to know if it was safe for my boy to have…
Sophie The Giraffe Is Totally safe!
Not a spec of mold. But how could this be and what steps did I take?
- Only clean Sophie with pacifier wipes or other baby safe cleaning wipes.
- If you must rinse her in the sink, plug the hole with your thumb and rinse carefully.
- Never bring her in for bath time. Choose another toy.
Did any drool enter Sophie over the month?
I would assume so. My bet is that small amounts entered and because it was small amounts, it naturally dried up before it could become a problem. Not to mention, he wasn’t trying to get any inside, just casually chewed on random parts like any baby would do…
So I went back to Amazon and ordered a replacement
How Sophie is made:
So should you buy Sophie the Giraffe?
It’s up to you! But from one parent to another, this is an excellent, high quality toy/teether that’s worth every cent. Sophie the Giraffe is a keeper and you can purchase her here.
Want to see my other reviews? Please click below.